Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Reaper Bones Lizardman Warrior

I picked this mini up a few weeks ago at the local game store - Game Empire.  They have a huge selection of Bones miniatures, more than the metal Reaper minis I think. The Bones are fairly inexpensive, so I always pick up 1 or 2 when I visit.  Metal minis used to be like that back in the day...ughh.  

Like I said before, the Bones minis are perfect for RPG gaming because they don't chip like metal minis so you can throw them in a case and handle them at a game and not worry. I decided to take more time on this guy than usual, to see just how good I could make him look.  No dry brushing of the skin or club here for me.


Here is a head on view showing off what I assume to be a snapping turtle shell. I painted the crests or spines on the back a blue color to contrast with all of that strong green skin color.


Here is another angle.
I think I may add some water effects resin to the base in between the legs there.  Perhaps a greenish swamp water color.

That's all for now.


2 comments:

  1. Awesome job, Nils. I'm sure it's a pain in the neck, but could you explain how you painted this guy? I'd especially like to know the colors you used for the shade, mid-tone, and highlights. Did you use any washes? I'm sure I'm not the only follower who'd like to know the method to your madness :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Derek.
      On the skin I used a Reaper dark green...the bottle doesn't say what the color name is....but it must be Forest Green. I used this for a base coat. Then I used a mix of Vallejo Sick Green and the Reaper Forest green for the mid tones. I sort of over brushed this on at first. Then I spot painted every scale to correct any sloppiness. I kept adding more sick green to gradually lighten the scales. Finally, I used a Vallejo Lime Green to do the highlights, and I lightened that up with Vallejo flat yellow. I didn't highlight every scale, just the ones most facing top sunlight.

      Delete