Wednesday, March 13, 2013

A Ral Partha Ogre

While I continue to work on the Green Dragon, aka white dragon from Ral Partha AD&D, I wanted to share this completed Ogre from the same company.  He was done in January 2013 I believe. At first , I wanted to paint the metals in the Non Metallic Metal (NMM) style, but that seemed too time consuming for my slow skills, so I went ahead and used my Citadel metal paints.  Below is the first pass at the mini.

 I think the hardest part of painting miniatures for me is to select colors for clothing and decorations that look good on the mini and go well together.  This Ogre's skirt thing is a kind of grey-blue, which at first I liked but then decided  was too bright and happy.  Almost like he belonged to an army of men.  I wanted something more wild nad independent.  I pondered going to something more brown or earth tone in color, and came up with the next picture which used kind of a reddish brown from Vallejo.




Not only did I changed the color of the skirt, I decided on green skin instead of tan. He now has the skin tone of the Wicked Witch in the Wizard of Oz...kind of a grey green.  I performed some washes using Citadel Gryphonne Sepia on the metals, and some washes on the boots and skirt and weapons using Citadel Devlan Mud.

The final mini just had the base flocked as well as some additional highlights here and there. The light for the camera was incandesent, which gives the picture too much yellow tint.  I added some little tufts of grass from Army Painter to the base which I think are great.


That's it for Mr. Ogre.  I hope to use him in some games someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment