Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Dwellers From Below

I painted several of the monsters from Grenadier's "Dwellers From Below" box set in 2012.  Below are the Yuan-Ti and the Beholder.  I love these guys, and I'm documenting them here for posterity's sake even if they are not "hip" right now.  With these old sculpts, I feel they need a really nice paint job to do them justice.  Non-metallic metals work very well with these old minis, giving them a sharpness that they badly need.  Here is a Yuan-ti I believe.




I think I came up with the idea for the color scheme from some kind of Boa that I found on a Google search. I wanted to do a snake that was not the classic green or red.  You will see with a lot of boas these brown squares with red or orange parts.

Here is another angle, perhaps to show off some NMM on the shield. NMM is very hard for me to do and takes many many hours to please my eye.  This is one of my best shiny steel efforts ever.

Next is the beholder, whose expression is very strange to me.  I can't tell if it is a malicious look or a look of curiosity.  That is what makes this guy cool.

Again, I went for a color scheme that you don't see very often on a beholder.  You might see purple a lot, but the blue and yellow highlighting seems unusual for me.  I added some skull bits to the base on this one... a mini conversion if you will.

Here is what a beholder's butt looks like in case you were wondering.




No comments:

Post a Comment